The Ivanhoe Primary School community is vibrant and welcoming. If you'd like more information on how to join us, please read on, and feel free to contact us for more information. Please note: The Placement Policy has changed since the beginning of the 2023 school year. All enrolment decisions made from the start of Term 2, 2023 should be made in accordance with the current Placement Policy as outlined at this link Click here
Can we join IPS?
Your right to attend your designated neighbourhood school
Student intake is a difficult and sometimes emotional topic for all schools to manage. To help you understand our process here are some facts (things we cannot change) and guidelines:
- Our school has an enrolment ceiling (maximum) based on our size and facilities.
- Our school has a defined catchment area from where we must accept enrolments (Click here to see if we are your closest school).
- Our school has to manage student intake within our ceiling which may include denying enrolment to students from outside our catchment area.
To determine the closest government school to your residential address you can use the same tool we do.
Eligible children and young persons have the right to be admitted to their designated neighbourhood government school, regardless of capacity. Accordingly, all students that reside within the area of a designated neighbourhood school (referred to as a ‘school zone’) must be offered a place when seeking enrolment.
A student’s designated neighbourhood school is the school that is nearest the student’s permanent address as determined by the school zone. The Find My School website provides guidance on which school zone a student’s permanent residence is located within.
Enrolments at Ivanhoe Primary are high, resulting in the following general guidelines the school considers when reviewing enrolment requests from outside our catchment area:
- Priority will be given where siblings are already enrolled at the school.
- We first process catchment area enrolments and then consider the overall class sizes to determine if enrolments will be accepted from outside the catchment area.
- International fee paying students are not accepted at this time.
Please refer to the Department of Education Victoria Placement Policy for more information.
This section of the Department’s enrolment guidelines outlines the obligations on Victorian government schools in relation to placement of students and is referred to as the Placement Policy. For information on verifying a student’s permanent address, refer to: Determining permanent residence.
The Department’s Placement Policy embeds the legal entitlement for students to enrol at their designated neighbourhood school, and to enrol at another school if there is sufficient accommodation. Click here.
If you'd like to take a tour of the school, who better to give you the honest inside word than our students themselves. A tour of the school can be organised with one of our Junior School Councillors (students) or with our Principal if available. The school is popular so we will also be running group tours on particular dates. Contact the office for the next available date or to arrange a convenient time.
Education Week and Open Day
Education Week is an annual celebration of education in Victoria. Victoria will celebrate 2024 Education Week between Sunday 12th of May to Saturday 18th of May. This year's theme is Spotlight on STEM, a chance for schools to celebrate and share how they bring science, technology, engineering, and maths to life in the classroom.
Open Day (Morning) is on the Wednesday 15th May of Education Week between 9.30am – 11.30am. Classrooms and learning spaces will be accessable and the Orchestra as well as our wonderful junior strings will play at 11am in the school hall. This will be preceeded by a short welcome from the school principal.
How to Enrol
Foundation enrolments for 2025 are open (for children who will be 5 years old by April 30th in the enrolment year).
Enrolment forms are available at the link below or through the school office. Phone our friendly Admin team on 9499 1880.
Requirements for enrolment:
- Your child must be 5 or older by April 30th in the enrolment year.
- Check to see if IPS is your closest government school (Find my school).
- You need to complete & lodge the Enrolment Form with the school.
- We will need a copy of your child's birth and immunisation certificates (must be received prior to the start of the school year).
- If transferring from another school please bring educational information such as school reports, assessment information and any other relevant files from your child's previous school.
Any changes in enrolment information should be reported to the office as soon as possible, especially Emergency Contacts, Change of Address / Contact Details, etc.