Ivanhoe Primary School (IPS) is committed to encouraging the whole school community to work together
for the good of all students. Research shows that children whose parents/carers are engaged with their child's school and education have vastly improved academic and social outcomes. IPS offers a number of ways for parents to get involved throughout the school year.
The Class Representative Program aims to provide informal opportunities for families to meet one another as well as helping to improve the level of communication between the classroom teacher and the home.
At the beginning of the school year one or two parents/carers are sought from each grade to act as their child’s Class Representative. A Parent Class Representative Co-ordinator is also sought to support and create a sense of community among all Class Representatives across the school.
Specifically the role of a Class Representative Co-ordinator involves:
• Being a Class Representative for a grade and fulfilling the requirements of the Class Representative Role Description.
• Ensuring a contact list of all Class Representatives is available and distributed to all Class Representatives, and updated when necessary in line with DET privacy guidelines.
• Ensuring that each class has a Class Representative.
• Supporting Class Representatives in their role.
• Encouraging Class Representatives to organise social activities for their class and/or year level e.g. morning/afternoon tea, dinner/lunch gatherings, park plays etc.
• Communicating with other Class Representatives regarding specific school events, excursions and incursions.
• Co-ordinating a Class Representative Meeting each term to discuss school events and engaging with families.
• Having a current Working With Children Check.
• The first job is to work with the principal to identify class representative(s) at each year level.
It is highly recommended that the Class Representative Co-ordinator is a member of the IPS Parents and Friends Association (PFA). If you are interested in being a Class Representative Co-ordinatoror a class parent rep please contact the principal (me)